As families continue to grapple with the devastation of the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that rocked Abra in 2022, CFC ANCOP and SM Development Corporation (SMDC) are teaming up to provide homes for the survivors through the SMDC Abra Housing Project, and more importantly, to bring more families to Christ.
“This decision reflects the enduring trust and confidence SMDC places in ANCOP as its compliance project partner…and ANCOP will also not engage a partner if they will not allow evangelization as a key component or integral to the partnership,” shared CFC ANCOP Chairman Rudy Gaspillo in an interview.
Directions for ANCOP’s community development
Situated in Brgy. Basbasa, Tayum, Abra, this project aims to provide compliant housing for the earthquake survivors by January 2024. The newest ANCOP site will comprise 126 row houses, a multipurpose hall-cum-basketball court, and comprehensive site development. Notably, the site will be SMDC’s last horizontal housing project, as future community development projects will adopt a vertical approach to optimize space.
According to Gaspillo, the direction and focus of CFC ANCOP’s community development program will be to support the following:
- More timely deliveries and more cost-efficient construction management and values formation programs;
- Harmonious community and committed ANCOP teams;
- Consistent implementation of the Educational Sponsorship Program;
- Assignment of a lay missionary/chaplain to sites with 150-300 families;
- Proper maintenance of facilities in coordination with the homeowners’ association
He added that the cost of these value-added features of CFC ANCOP sites will be shouldered by CFC ANCOP.
Regular site visits
Scheduled for completion in a mere seven months, SMDC has entrusted the construction management to ANCOP. To guarantee the project’s success, CFC ANCOP will closely supervise and monitor the three contractors involved in site development and house construction.
“the strong bond between the twin missions of CFC and sent a resolute message that CFC leaders and members should wholeheartedly pursue their mission to provide spiritual and material assistance.”
CFC ANCOP’s consultant-engineers will visit the site weekly, while the project manager will make monthly visits to ensure adherence to design specifications and high-quality standards in site development and house construction.
The groundbreaking memorandum of agreement signing ceremony between ANCOP and SMDC took place on June 29, 2023. Distinguished guests included:
- Abra District Representative Cong. Ching Bernos;
- Tayum Mayor Glen Eduarte;
- members of the municipal council;
- municipal and barangay officers;
- Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) Regional Head for Cordillera Administrative Region Maria Amoroso;
- Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) Regional Heads for Cordillera Administrative Region Atty. Mercedes Sayen-Borongan;
- Consultant and Head of SMDC delegation Armenia Ballesteros;
- AVP Sheila dela Cruz Ching;
- Engineer Dexter;
- Project Assistant Erica Dianne dela Cruz
- Couples for Christ (CFC) chairman/president Jose Yamamoto;
- ANCOP chairman/president Rudy Gaspillo and wife Indette;
- CFC Abra Provincial Area Head Enrique Rico;
- CFC ANCOP Senior Operations Manager Efren Tompong
According to Gaspillo, the presence of both the CFC chairman/president and that of ANCOP at the event highlighted “the strong bond between the twin missions of CFC and sent a resolute message that CFC leaders and members should wholeheartedly pursue their mission to provide spiritual and material assistance.”
Praise God for yet another project guided by CFC ANCOP’s twin mission of helping save both the body and the soul!